Skip to main content

Initial Header and Introduction

Welcome to the blog on the Dixon and Simms Family Tree. These are my immediate paternal and maternal lines though, as we know, there are many other surnames that enter in every generation. I have uncovered, in my limited time, such incredibly history and stories that i want to capture and share for future generations. I found quite a lot of the material here online and in the most unlikely of places. I want to make sure that others, looking for certain individuals, can also stumble upon stories exactly as i have done.

I will begin publishing individual articles going forward on each of these families, primarily, and those that are connected to them. The Dixon's hail primarily from Yorkshire and the Simms' from Warwickshire. I was born in surrey when both branches made their respective ways done here at the turn of the 20th century.

I have taken an ancestry DNA test and you can find my profile on GEDMATCH under kit # A961122. I have also recorded extensive information on ancestry.co.uk itself and as i currently look at it there are 1,160 individuals within that tree.

What makes this all the more interesting is that i am adopted. The information i have uncovered has been undertaken without meeting my birth parents and DNA was the key to uncovering several curious stories indeed. Hopefully, i will do so going forward, but as a skilled amateur genealogist this has not been a stumblingblock to discovering copious amounts of history.

More articles to come...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte Simms, her son born out of wedlock, and who the probable father was.

As i go through my family tree i often mark down individuals for further consideration, especially if they are not priority research targets, and especially if initial research yields little. One such person was Charlotte Simms . I came across her when i was filling out the family of my 2nd great-grandfather William Simms. I found her, and marked her down with her year of birth, which was 1876 and in Brailes. I tend not to go into huge detail on indirect descendants of my connections straight away - and, even less so, those that are daughters. These can be, and are, explored at a later date. However i came across a curious article about a young girl called Charlotte Simms who simply had to be the same person. The story, published on the 14th of April 1892, and warranted deeper investigation. Article published 14th of April 1892 She was making a case against a young boy called Frank Bloxham that he was the father of her son born just a couple of months before on the 2nd of Jun

Tracking down Frank Bloxham - Part 1

Frank Bloxham has no direct connection to me as such - however, his likely son, Frank Henry Simms  does indeed carries the genes of my 2nd great-aunt Charlotte Simms. I contacted a descendant of the family of Frank Henry Simms and passed the information i had over. I decided to take a closer look at this individual. To uncover the story behind the article and to track his movements after - and also, his origins. He was commonly called "Frank" (as such many were) but was born Francis A Bloxham . Francis Bloxham - 6 years old in the 1881 census. Like many families in Brailes there were common groups of families. The Bloxhams were quite a unique name and not as common compared to others. Brailes being as small as it was - and still is - it remains comparatively easy to track them around. Whilst working for a grocer in the following census he met Charlotte Simms. 1891 census. Francis was working as a grocers apprentice and Charlotte as a general servant (domestic).

Standard Offering - Sample Output

I wanted to give an example of what can be expected for a standard offering. I was able to turn around the following, with appropriate citations (from BMD / census records) fairly quickly. The standard offering is a "no frills" 5 generation family tree ( your great great grandparents ). All i required was whatever information could be provided to me. To produce this tree the client gave me his name and birthday, his parents names and birthdates and his grandparents names. This may not be possible in every case - or more could be provided - but it is usually enough to do the job. There is also no guarantee that a tree can be filled out entirely. In this case it was. In the interest of confidentiality - the client, and his, parents are not included in the below screenshots. I loaded this .GED file into ancestry.co.uk to demonstrate, if you like, that you are able to continue the research yourself. The standard offering can be a good primer and start point for that. On the